Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Cran-Bran

I baked today! I've been feeling pretty exhausted for the past week or so- I got pretty bad poison oak (on my eye, and other places) and have been residually itchy and anxious. Also, I needed some time alone- being with other people 24/7 is just not good for me!

I made a list of things to do today, and at the top of that list was bake. Mike's mom just got a new stove, with an oven that actually works, and we had a bag of stale cereal. I took a recipe of raisin bran muffins and made a few modifications. Instead of bran, cereal. Instead of wheat flour, white flour. Instead of raisins, dried cranberries (which were also in the cereal). After the first fairly bland batch, I added more cranberries and some cinnamon. The texture is good, but they're not my favorite thing I've ever baked. They didn't rise well, and are chewier than I'd like.

However, I feel good. Baking always makes me feel refreshed and renewed, even if whatever I make turns out worse than I imagined. Maybe I'll dig my sourdough starter out of the fridge and play with it a little, too.

Also in the plans for today: cleaning the trailer- we're living out of boxes and things keep getting strewed about and it's driving me crazy, getting our stuff out of Jackie's house and into the trailer (and their respective boxes), working on my Chevron sock (I'm past the heel on the re-knit and larger version, but I still think it might be too small for my friend), and getting pictures off my portable hard drive and onto Ravelry!

No comments: