Monday, May 12, 2008

J'ai finis!

Two things: baby booties (just in time- the baby is 9 days old today!) and my first year of law school! Wooohooo! The baby booties are way cuter than law school, so let's cut straight to the chase.


I got the buttons from Bolt, a fabric store in NE Portland. I love them. I hope Allison and her baby Evan love them, too!

The buttons stirred up a bit of controversy in the "boys-don't-wear-pink" crowd, but I think two things: Number One. Who cares? Babies will not be harmed by the color of button they wear. I promise. Number Two. Marching Elephants! Every baby should be adorned in marching elephants. All babies are cute, and all babies deserve cute buttons.

The pattern is Saartje's Bootees (pdf), an incredibly popular pattern. I'm not the world's biggest garter stitch fan, but it's a stretchy stitch, which is good for growing baby feet.

The yarn is Hazel Knits Artisan Sock in Beach Glass, leftover from my Embossed Leaves.

I've also been working on my Knitting Law Students Summer Knit-along project, the Mrs. Darcy sweater. I'm calling mine the "Eliza Bennett" because she's not ever called Mrs. Darcy in the book (I don't think) or in the amazing BBC version, just in the Keira Knightley version, which was not that great. So, Eliza Bennett it is!


This is the back.

I know a black wool sweater doesn't seem like a very summery thing to knit, but I'll be working in an air-conditioned office, starting Wednesday, and my current black cardigan is getting quite ratty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!! Huge high five.

My office is freezing, too. It's 90 outside and I'm under a blanket with a sweater on and my first socks on my feet. I don't blame you for knitting a black wool sweater during the summer.

I can't knit with wool during the summer because my house doesn't have A/C and it's too uncomfortable to even breathe, let alone knit with wool.

I want to knit that cardigan, but haven't heard good things about the patt.